"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Captain Super Numb Flies a Kite

Here's the true signs of summer:Ahhh flip flop lines--at least that is what they look like for now. Who knows what they will look like after all the dirt has been scrubbed off.

This morning Sarah and Daniel had the return dentist visit to fix their cavities. The office staff pulled them both back at the same time, but in different rooms. I had to keep walking back and forth between the rooms to check on them. They got the nitrous oxide going through the nasal cannula and then they put on the special sunglasses with attached ear buds that play movies while the dentist works on their teeth. Daniel was in heaven. Sarah didn't quite know what to think about it all.Sarah only had one very small cavity so they didn't even need to numb her up. The dentist just drilled while the two dental assistants held her arms down so she didn't pull at anything. She got done before Daniel got done so she watched Daniel's procedure through the doors.Daniel, poor kid, had three cavities to start with, but once they got in between his teeth they discovered another cavity and that would make four. I cried just a little because we have used up our entire $1850.00 of Flex Spending Account for the year and it's only June. That means that fourth filling is more money that will come out of our pockets**sniff sniff**. Geez kids are expensive!!!! Anyway, they had to really numb up his upper jaw. They put the numbing gel on and got him to take a few good whiffs of the nitrous, but it wasn't enough to take the sting out of the shots. Once they put the needle in his gums he jumped and started screaming. The other staff members had to come and close the doors so the poor kids out in the waiting room didn't hear him and refuse to let the dentist see them.Afterward Daniel's cheeks and lips were so numb and puffy he could hardly smile. He got done early enough to make it to the last 90 minutes of Kids in the Park. He was glad because today was super hero day and they got to make their own masks and capes. He calls himself the Green Goblin, but I called him Captain Super Numb or Captain Novocain--both have a good ring to them. I got a picture of the three boys showing their super hero costumes and, of course, Sarah had to be a part of things, too even if she didn't have a super cape.After lunch the boys wanted to go and fly their kites. Since it was quite windy today I agreed. First we had to head over to the store to pick up more kite string, but after that we headed over to the park. I had three different kites and to try to get them all up in the sky at the same time was an almost impossible task. Once I got one kite into the sky and headed over to help the next kid, the first kid's kite nose dove into the ground. While I was helping Matthew, Josh got impatient and wadded up all his string so it became a HUGE knot. That took me forever to untangle and Daniel wasn't patient enough to wait for me to untangle Josh's line. He wadded up his whole kite tearing it into pieces and ran over with Sarah to play on the playground. I finally got Josh's kite into the air to find Matthew's had crashed. I wandered over to help Matthew and that's when Josh let go of his line and let it get all tangled up in a huge chain link baseball backstop. I didn't notice until I saw Josh hanging off the edge of the very top of it trying to untangle his line. I got upset and went over to get him down before he fell and broke something--again thinking about our empty Flex Spending Account. He got down unhurt and I told him to go help Matthew wind up his kite string. I guess he thought I said go wad up the entire length of kite string to see how big of a knot you can make. At this time I gave up on the kite flying as it was turning out to be more of a frustration for me than an enjoyable time. I never got that last knot untangled. I think it would be easier to cut my strings and get some new line if I ever feel the need to fly a kite again in the near future. Here is proof we did get the kites into the air: Matthew's kite is the smallest speck of yellow in the middle of the picture.You can see both kites got tangled in the air in this picture. I kept telling the boys to stay far apart, but that must have translated into follow mom and keep as close to everyone as possible especially anyone else flying a kite at the same time.Here's what Noah thought of all the kite flying:While I was hopelessly trying to untangle that last huge messy knot, everyone took a break and watched for trains to go by since we were right next to the train tracks. Matthew got so excited every time one would pass by he would yell and let everyone in the park and in the near by neighborhoods know a train was going by--as if they couldn't already hear the noisy train. What a crazy kid!Even if it was a little frustrating for me today, I think the kids did have fun when we did have their kites up in the sky.

1 comment:

KiLee said...

I think I need those glasses & earplugs when I go to the dentist!!