"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Sunday, April 5, 2009

No Holds Bar Easter Egg Hunt

Today was our annual Birthday party for my Dad, sister and me and our Easter Egg Hunt at G&G T's house. I have been preparing for weeks for the Easter Egg hunt working up my endurance and sharpening my elbows for this event. Just joking, but it is akin to the Black Friday sales, only with family members. The kids got their turn first. They are finally catching on that you have to be fast and not want to open every egg you pick up as soon as you pick it up--hey it's only taken 7 or so years. They all had a pretty good time. They got candy, small toys, bubbles and chalk. Since Sarah was too little to participate she got some baby barrettes so maybe I can tame her wild mane. For the adult part it was no holds bar. I barely squeezed through the door with so many people pushing. The husbands did have proper manners and let the ladies go first, but we were the ones that got the most squished. We had fun opening the eggs to find lip balm, pipe cleaners, mints, bubble gum etc. We did get some Crazy Glue, but I traded that away because Aaron and Crazy Glue don't mix very well. During Aaron's last run in with Crazy Glue he accidentally glued his fingers together trying to just open the bottle. Aaron, after lots of acetone, raw skin from scrubbing and some few choice words he got them apart again and was not eager to repeat the experience. We also had some yummy dinner with Apricot chicken, tasty salads and some not very aesthetically pleasing rolls--for some reason I just can't bake Rhodes Rolls. Anyway, we were also able to catch Conference which is always uplifting--except for the sad real life stories; however, the main character always learn something tremendous from the real life experiences. It is always amazing how a lot of the talks seem just for you...funny how that works. We all had lots of fun--thanks G&G T!! Anyway, here are some pictures from the party:Here's everyone checking out our loot.I couldn't resist taking this potential blackmail picture of Josh trying on my old Jester costume from grade school while playing dress up. I can't wait to find this gem again in 10 years...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you made it through! That sounds like a fun tradition! And that story by Pres. Monson made me cry so hard!! Did you notice all the kids that poor woman had were the same ages as our kids?? Oh boy, my kids were sick of me hugging them by the end of that story. I just had to keep letting go to wipe away the tears.

Jeff n Jill said...

I have witnessed - been a part of this "Easter Egg Hunt" - OHHH MYYY!!! Freakin' aggressive doesnt even put a dent in the description! :) Who would've guessed our sweet Rebecca had a competitive streak?!?!

kim said...

Sweet Rebecca? I'm glad there weren't any little ones in her way! Sounds totally fun. I think we will institute an adults only egg hunt.

Jeff n Jill said...

by the way...how did you sneak that outfit on Josh without Aaron freaking out bigtime? ooohhh I should resend you the one picture of Aaron with his "mud mask" on for you to post on his birthday... moohhaaahhh! :)

Stacey said...

FUN!!! My little brother had a bad run in with crazy glue too... He opened it up and it got on his fingers so he shook his hand to see if it would fly off, well it did right into his eye! He had to go to the ER! No more Crazy Glue for him either lol