"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Friday, November 27, 2009

Things I am Thankful For

Occasionally I have been known to have a pessimistic attitude about life. This is not always the happiest way to look at things so I am trying to better. I have many things to be thankful for, but sometimes my hardships or problems seem so big I can't see the forest for the trees. To help remind myself of my many blessings I will list a few things I am thankful for.

1. Our Wednesday at the Zoo and Tracy Aviary. Now as a family we try to get out and do things together. This is not always easy for Matthew since he does not enjoy crowds or anything that is not in his regular routine. It is rare we can do any of these activities without a meltdown or screaming of some sort. I must say Wednesday he did terrific. We had no meltdowns and not very much screaming which made the day even better. I can mostly handle the bad days if there are a few days of exceptional goodness sprinkled in between. The hard days really make me appreciate the really good days that much more.

2. I am thankful for the funny things my kids say at times. We have been trying to teach our heathen kids manners especially around the table for dinner. It sometimes hard to say we don't burp or toot at the table and maintain a straight face. Last Wednesday over lunch we had a good discussion on proper table manners in preparation for Thanksgiving dinner as so we would not offend anyone with out bad manners. One of the key points was we don't burp at the table. Well during Thanksgiving dinner the next day Josh was eating and then burped very loudly. He thought by just saying excuse me it would make it ok. After he said excuse me I reminded him about our discussion the day before trying not to mention any specifics. Daniel thought he would help things out by yelling to Josh with a very full mouthful of chewed up turkey where bits of it fell out while he was speaking, "REMEMBER, WE DON'T BURP AT THE TABLE, JOSH!" Good thing Daniel is there to remind us all of our manners even though he is one of the worst offenders.

Daniel can be a little forgetful at times. He has been known to forget to wipe after using the bathroom. Sorry if that is a little too much information. He told Aaron and me tonight that when he forgets to wipe it makes his bum sour. Aaron tried to ask/correct him, "It makes your bum sore?" Daniel just said, "Nope, it just makes it sour Dad." It was hard to keep a straight face.

3. I am thankful for Aaron's job and that we have enough money to meet our needs--maybe not all our wants, but at least our needs are met.

4. I am thankful for a loving Heavenly Father who does know me and care about me. Even though I have pity parties for myself occasionally, I know this is just part of life and I need to be learning something. I guess He is trying to teach this old dog some new tricks even though I am pretty determined not to learn anything and think my way is best. I eventually find out I am terribly wrong and then see the light or so to say.

5. I am thankful for a good family who tries to support us through our trials. Even if it is just a word of encouragement it is still appreciated and sometimes just what I need to hear. We are trying our best with the hand we have been dealt, but sometimes things don't work out according to plan.

6. I am thankful for a good husband who is truly my best friend and confidant. He has really been a rock lately since with this pregnancy I seem to fall apart at the drop of a hat. He is getting really good about dealing with a shoulder sopping wet from a very tearful wife. Even a song or a sweet poem can bring tears to my eyes. This is so not like me so he has to just roll his eyes, be ready with a tissue and let me cry. It is going to be a long pregnancy.

7. I am thankful for the chance to have children. They teach me a lot about patience--even more than I care to learn. It makes me even more excited for Aaron's sister Jill who just found out she is pregnant with her first baby after her third round of invitro fertilization. We found out this week and are so excited for her. Children really are a blessing. I do love my children even though sometimes they can push me to my limit.

8. Cheesecake--'nuff said.
9. Bubble baths
10. Good Books

1 comment:

bamatamb said...

As always, love your blog, love your new Christmas background, and LOVE your music! :)