"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Busy Kids

Yesterday while Josh and Matthew were at K.I.P. I took the car in to get the oil changed. I wasn't planning on it taking too long so I didn't bring much to keep Sarah and Daniel entertained. An hour later while we were still waiting I was looking at something and in the few minutes I wasn't fully paying attention to Sarah she found a blue crayon from who knows where and left her mark(s) all over the waiting room. She is a very fast mischief maker!!
Also yesterday we had water day over at my neighbor's house. She bought an above ground pool and Matthew kept asking her every time he saw her when she was going to have water day. She decided to do water day yesterday and all of my kids came. Noah slept the whole time in the bouncer which was nice. Sarah was very apprehensive and did not want to try anything at all when we first got there. She slowly warmed up to the kiddie pool. I then worked on her and finally got her into the big pool. She absolutely refused to take her shoes off the whole time so here she is with them on. I finally got her to float without gripping on to me for a few seconds. I also coaxed her in to going down the big water slide. She hated the first trip down, but then came back for more a while later.
Water day ended up being during Sarah's nap time. She wore herself out to the point of trying to fall asleep while she was sitting on the swing. I caught her before she fell all the way asleep and fell off. Matthew went between the pool, the water slide, the wading pool and the tricycle that was entirely too small for him. He had lots of fun, though.A couple weeks ago Josh went swimming for K.I.P. the day before he asked me where his boondoggles were. I didn't know what he wanted so I asked him to explain them to me. He thought I was teasing him and said, "Come on, Mom. My boondoggles. Where are they?" I still didn't know what he wanted so he got upset at me and stormed off. I finally found out what boondoggles are: I then told him they are called goggles not boondoggles. In the four hours we were there, Josh only got out of the pool twice--only because he had to go potty. He loves the water--we just need to get him swimming on his own. That way he won't need the lifeguard to save him when he jumps off the diving board at the big pool like what happened a few weeks ago--crazy kid.
Daniel does not like his face to get wet. It got wet once and he did not want to get back in the pool. He just hung around the snack table and nipped snacks whenever no one was looking.He finally decided to get back in the pool towards the end of the afternoon as long as he had someone to hold on to. He also got a turn with the boondoggles. At the very end of the afternoon he actually let got of someone for a minute and floated around by himself. I had to take a picture since it was such a miracle.

I loved it because the kids put up no fight when it was bedtime. They had worn themselves out and all of them were more than ready to go to sleep last night. Maybe we should have water day every day.....

1 comment:

KiLee said...

Swimming is the best! I love wearing out the kids & having an early bed time!!! If you just lived closer, we'd have you over every day!!! :)