Thursday, July 1, 2010
Swim Like a Rock
Today's Kids in the Park (K.I.P.) field trip for Matthew and Josh was to the swimming pool. I have been debating on whether or not I wanted to send Josh due to his seizures. The neurologist really stressed caution when around water, high places or anyplace that having a seizure or losing consciousness would cause serious injury. She told me not to even attempt to take him swimming until he has been seizure free for at least three months and even then to be right with him the whole time. He just barely hit his seizure free three month mark as far as we know. However, the neurologist also told me to try and let him live the most "normal" life he could and to participate in any and all activities he wanted as long as he took precautions. After discussing it with Aaron we decided to let him go swimming. I went to drop him off this morning and to talk to his K.I.P leaders to let them know to be extra attentive of Josh today at the pool. Afterward I went to pick up Matthew and Josh and brought them home. I was asking Josh all about what he did at the pool today when he mumbled something that sounded strangely like, "I drowned today." My ears really perked up and I asked him to tell me what happened. He haltingly told me (because he was so embarrassed) that he decided to jump off the diving board. I asked him why he did that since he does not know how to swim. I then asked him who saved him and he told me the lifeguard. I asked him if it was really scary and he told me no. What goes through kids' minds?? That kid has no fear whatsoever!! He then told me he CAN swim--I guess the sinking like a rock in the water was just a minor inconvenience in his opinion. Anyway, I am glad it all turned out ok, but I think we will be looking in to swimming lessons for him in the near future!! Other than the near drowning it seems like the rest of the day was really fun, though.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Aunt Jill will teach him to swim. she sis wonders with Emily, Kate, and Kari.
Post a Comment