"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Friday, October 15, 2010

What To Do With These Kids?

We have had somewhat of a busy week. Tuesday Josh had a check up appointment with his Neurologist and everything with him is looking great. The new medication they put Josh on in March does make him quite moody, but it has kept his seizures at bay in conjunction with his other medication Topamax. The neurologist talked to me about maybe switching medications since the Keppra makes him moody, but I don't even want to mess with that at all. If it's not broke don't fix it!! If anything the moodiness will prepare me for the teenage years! While he was there he also got his flu shot which he was not happy about, but I am glad that's done with!! He was somewhat relieved he got the shot in his arm because he hates getting the shot in his bum cheek.

I got a call a few days ago from Noah's pediatrician saying that Noah would benefit from the Synagis shot--which is the vaccine for RSV. It is the same thing Daniel got for his first two years during the cold and flu season since he was a preemie and on oxygen, too. It is a shot that is given every 28 days for about 6 months to help prevent RSV or at least lesson the severity of it if they get it. Because of it's expense it is only given to preemies or those who are high risk for severe complications from RSV. Noah unfortunately falls into this category because he was preemie, on oxygen for a few months, had a pneumothorax (hole in the lung) and we have children going to school who seem to bring home any and every communicable disease known to man. I would be totally on board with the Synagis shot except for it costs $1700 every 28 days. Luckily our insurance covers all but 30%, but still our portion at $500 every 28 days is quite a bit. We are still deciding the pros and cons about the whole deal. Total it would run about $3000 for the whole season, but a hospital stay for us would only cost $500 per admission. What a gamble...and what to do? Kids are so expensive!! All I can say is Merry Christmas Noah! I wonder if they would let me gift wrap the syringe ;). Good thing I love this boy!!
As always Sarah has been very busy getting into mischief. Yesterday after I got her dressed she decided to go upstairs and into my bathroom. I caught her a few minutes later drenched in water. She had crawled up into my sink and stopped it up. Then she turned on the water--maybe she wanted a bath?? Then she started applying my makeup while taking her "bath". That was not a fun mess to clean up. This morning she had already showered at 7:30 am because she came into my room all wet and sticky. I didn't even want to find out what she had gotten into so I just threw her into the shower. Afterward she found a green marker and went to town on her legs and tummy. Oh what to do with this girl!!I got a permission form from Matthew's school last week to sign. They were having the local technical school come over and practice haircuts on the school kids. As always I am up for a free haircut so Matthew came home Wednesday with his literal and figurative cool new do: So everyone would look the same I ended up cutting Daniel's, Josh's and Aaron's hair as well. I am so excited not to have to comb the boys' hair for the next two months--YAY!!
It is fall break this week--which means no school on Thursday and Friday. I had all these fun activities in mind to do with the kids, but I have gotten sick with a cold. Most the time a cold is no big deal you just keep going, but this one has thrown me for a loop. I have been feeling pretty rough. Aaron, being the sweet guy he is, stayed home Wednesday to help me out. He had to go to work on Thursday, but came home with some flowers, candy and a book to try and make me feel better. Hopefully it will pass soon so I can start feeling human again!!

2 comments:

KiLee said...

Man, I just love your kids! Good luck deciding on about the shots. Sarah keeps me laughing! I'm sure I'm in for some of that with Ryker! :)
I've caught a cold too - also thrown for a loop. What is up with that! Good luck with your recovery.

Unknown said...

I'm sorry you don't feel good. It should be a rule that Moms can't get sick. EVER. That would be awesome. Feel better soon!