As for parent teacher conferences things went as I had expected them to go. Josh is doing fabulous. He is a model student except he doesn't like to listen to directions before starting his assignments. That means that occasionally he will get frustrated when he can't figure out what to do because he didn't listen the first time. He is also a lefty, but doesn't always know to look for the lefty scissors so sometimes he has a hard time with that. Other than that he loves school and his teachers love him, so all is good.
Matthew on the other hand is.....well.....Matthew. His teacher is the same one as last year and let's just say she is not my favorite. She doesn't have as much patience with him as I would like, but she gets the job done more or less. However, as Matthew gets older the gap between him and his typical peers in their academics is getting larger and larger. In 4th grade they make the big change from learning to read to reading to learn and Matthew's reading understanding and comprehension has not always been his strong point. Now it is starting to slow him down and that is really hard to see the disparity between him and the other kids. Until he can get that comprehension down he will continue to fall more and more behind his typical peers. He is also struggling with the social aspect of school as well. Matthew has his idiosyncrasies he has to do like flapping his hands, asking silly questions, and his VERY rigid routines, which, unfortunately, makes him stand out. This consequently has led to some of his typical peers making fun of him at school. His teacher has talked to the kids twice, but she can't always be with Matthew to make sure it doesn't happen. Thankfully, Matthew is blissfully unaware of this for now, but who knows how long that will last. I know I need to look at Matthew for who he is and not what he can't do, but parent teachers isn't the best thing for that because it painfully shows me how different he really is. Even though we have known about Matthew's autism for about 8 years now it doesn't make things easier. I had a social worker tell me it is ok to mourn the loss of that typical child, but don't dwell too long on it. So for the last few days I have been having a pity party for myself, but I am pulling myself together and getting ready to put on my happy face--until the next parent teacher conferences.
When I was in school (way back when) we learned about the Kubler-Ross 5 stages of grief. We also learned that you can regress and go back to any step at any time and Aaron and I have our moments when we do this. Here's the 5 steps that we like to cycle through:
1. Denial and isolation
2. Anger
3. Bargaining
4. Depression
5. Acceptance
Most the time we are at acceptance, but on the hard days we seem to cycle through the other steps. I just want what is best for Matthew and for him to be happy, but it has been a hard road to hoe to say the least. It is hard not to ask, "Why me?", but that doesn't make it any easier. I take comfort in knowing that Heavenly Father is in charge and this is what he has planned for us. He must think we can do this even though I question our ability at times. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?! Since I am not dead, I keep wondering when am I going to get those bulging muscles from being stronger?? :) 


3 comments:
That is funny that a transformer died, I bet my kids would have said the same thing. =) I'm sorry about the kids making fun of Matthew. It's hard enough to hear when your "normal" kid is being made fun of. I always tell TJ to stick up for him and be his friend, I hope he is.....if he isn't let me know.
I think you are amazing! I miss you!
You are a great mom to five great kids. Keep going, you will be blessed.
Post a Comment