Friday, January 30, 2009
Tough Day
Today was Aaron's Friday off so we were out enjoying our free time when we got a call from Matthew's school. We missed the call because we were somewhere really loud. So when we actually noticed they had called we got a sinking feeling. You know it's never a good sign when the school calls in the middle of the day. I called them back only to find out Matthew was having a major melt down. He had seen some people fixing the fire doors earlier in the week and had been obsessing about the fire alarm going off. His teacher had reassured him that the fire alarm was not set to go off anytime soon. Anyone who knows Matthew knows he has a very strong phobia of loud noises. It is nearly impossible for me to turn a blender on while he's around and vacuuming...it's just easier to do it while he's at school. Unfortunately, I guess the school decided to have a fire drill today and Matthew heard about it. All the reassurance the teacher gave him throughout the week just flew out the window and that's all it took to start him into meltdown mode. It was a bad enough meltdown his teacher called me to come pick him up--this was before the fire alarm had even gone off. When we got to the school we found him standing outside with his teacher crying just waiting for us to come. Then when we got home we listened a message from a very teary Matthew on the answering machine pleading for us to come and pick him up--poor guy. I am hoping they don't have another drill for a while--I don't think Matthew (or we) could take it. The picture is of Matthew blowing off some steam in his room (covering his ears from fear of the fire alarm) when we got home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
That is soooooo sad!!!! That picture just breaks your heart!
Poor kid! That's got to be so hard! I hope he is feeling better now!
You are so patient. I hope Matthew is feeling better on Monday.
Poor Little Matthew. The fire alarms at school are VERY loud. Hopefully he is doing better and they dont have another practice alarm any time soon.
Poor guy! I hope he is doing better now.
Poor Matthew!! He looks so sad in that pic. Every time I see him at school I say "HHII Matthew" and he gets this big cheesy grin on his face and hurrys and runs the ohter way!!! It is so cute!
It's hard to be autistic :(. Poor kid.
Poor thing!
Post a Comment