"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Beginning of Summer

You know it's the beginning of the beginning of summer when bowling sign ups come around. I signed the kids up for their bowling passes Saturday. On base they have a summer bowling program where for $20 a piece each kid can bowl one game with shoe rental every single day for the whole summer from May 1st to August 31st. We did this almost every day last summer because I was hugely pregnant and it was the only fun place that was remotely air conditioned. The employees got to know us pretty well and even recognized us when we came back this year to sign up again. They were glad to see Sarah because I was still pregnant with her the last time they had seen me. Hopefully, I will feel like being more active this summer since I won't be pregnant.

I am excited to say we made our reservations for Disneyland this week. Aaron is especially excited to go because he has never been before. It has been quite a while since I have been so any tips and/or suggestions would be helpful. We were looking around at height requirements and Daniel is only an inch shy of going on the big kid rides. I am wondering if there are any huge soled shoes out there to "help" him grow an inch in the next few weeks. We are really excited.

This weekend the boys' soccer games were cancelled due to all the rain. Aaron, however, got to still help out my brother put in his sprinkling system. Luckily, Bryan had done a big portion of the work Friday and was super organized so everyone only had to work a couple hours out in the pouring rain Saturday morning. After it was finished Aaron came home and had the world's longest shower to get warmed up again.

We are getting ready to move Josh and Daniel to their Spiderman room downstairs. In that room we have a queen size bed and a twin bed. The twin bed was Josh's bed from upstairs that we moved downstairs. Seeing as Josh is going to be the oldest down there we assumed he would want the queen size bed since it is the big bed. When Aaron told him such Josh got pretty upset. He insisted he wanted the little bed because it was his. I am documenting this so we can look back and say that Josh had his choice of which bed at one point. That way I can't be accused of giving him the shaft (AKA the middle child syndrome) later on.

In Matthew's class during the week they work toward "Fun Friday". If they have good behavior all week long they do some pretty fun stuff (sledding, flying kites, reading party, etc.) This week they learned about butterflies and watched a cocoon hatch. Friday to sum up the week they made butterfly costumes. Matthew was the only one who earned "Fun Friday" this week so he revelled in all the attention. He made his costume and was so excited to show everyone. Coming home on the bus he made the bus helper carry all his backpack and papers so he could flap his butterfly wings from the bus to the front door. He has worn the costume all weekend and is insisting that's what he wants to be for Halloween. Aaron is trying to think of ways to talk him into a more masculine costume, but we'll see what happens.

No comments: