"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Whirlwind of Mischief and Some Chipped Teeth

Sarah sure keeps me on my toes. She has figured out how to climb up the bar stools and get to wherever or whatever she wants which has been trouble. Yesterday morning she crawled up on the counter and emptied the soap dispenser all over her and the counter. I caught her a few minutes later on the counter yet again opening the medicine cabinet. We have now latched that so she can't get to that anymore thank goodness. Later on in the day she crawled up and discovered how much fun playing with the faucet is. Today she crawled up at lunch and tried to empty the honey container, but I caught her before she could do too much damage--good thing honey is very thick and slow flowing!! A little while later I caught her on the counter again, but this time she had gotten into the grapes container and had eaten quite a few. Tomorrow should be a fun diaper day!! This afternoon my neighbor's daughter had surgery so I ran across the street to see how she was doing. I was not gone more than ten minutes when I came back to check on Sarah. It's a good thing I did! She had turned on all the kitchen lights and was on the counter playing with the faucet and thermometer with water everywhere on the counter and floor. I finally ruined her fun by tipping all the bar stools over on their sides so she can't crawl up them anymore. She was trying to figure out how to set them upright, but thank goodness they are too heavy for her.She is harder to keep track of than any of the boys ever were. She loves playing in the bathroom so we try to keep the doors closed. However, the boys seem to have a hard time keeping it closed. When she does find the bathroom door open, she has learned to almost close the door because that way it is harder for me to see her and chase her out of the bathroom. That way she can play and get into whatever she wants without being stopped as fast as when the bathroom door is left open. What a mischievous little girl!! I also made the mistake of taking her down the shoe aisle at the store today. She found a pair of shoes and would not let go of them no matter what. I didn't really want to buy any shoes, but she wouldn't hear of it. She had picked out her pair and wasn't going to give them up. I just didn't have the energy to fight with her today so I caved in and bought the shoes, but I couldn't even get her to let go of them for the checker to scan them. The checker had get out her gun and lean over into the cart to try and scan the tag. Sarah thought she was going to take the shoes away from her so she started to scream. This little girl has been trouble from the very beginning--can we say accidental home birth?!! Here she is happy as a clam wearing her new shoes that a size too big, but I wasn't about to try and switch them out:Also today was Matthew and Josh's last day of Kids in the Park for this summer :(. This summer has gone by pretty fast! They had a fun field trip to the Roy Aquatics Center--yup this is the same spot that Josh almost drowned a few weeks ago jumping off the diving board even though he couldn't swim. You can read about it here. Good thing the lifeguard was alert enough to rescue him. Anyway, at least Josh or Matthew didn't almost drown today which is a good thing. Unfortunately, it seems Josh has inherited my coordination (or uncoordination)--poor guy. He was running up the stairs to go down the slide when he slipped and fell chipping both his front teeth. Too bad they are his two front permanent teeth. I guess I will have a chit chat with the dentist next time we see him about what to do with them. Here's Josh sporting his goofy, new chipped teeth grin.

2 comments:

Tyree Family said...

Chipped permanent teeth are just part of childhood. My oldest daughter chipped her front tooth with a homemade rock yo-yo. The dentist fixed them somehow and they still look great 20 years later.

pharmgirl75 said...

They definitely can be fixed! I dropped a folding chair on my sister when we were younger and chipped one of her front teeth. She's had to have the filling replaced once, but that's the only problem she's had with it