"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Pumpkin Walk, Super Saturday, and More Sarah Trouble

Wednesday night Aaron took Matthew over to Uncle Bryan's house. They went over there to use Bryan's table saw in order to get Matthew's Pinewood Derby car started. This is Matthew's first Pinewood Derby and Aaron's first time helping him. Hopefully, with a few Pinewood Derbies under Aaron's belt when he was in scouts will help him help Matthew make a winner of a car. We will find out on Wednesday which is when the big race is.

Thursday evening we went over to the Pumpkin Walk over in Syracuse City. We have done this every year for 8 years and this year is no different. It was relatively warm so we didn't need to bundle up this year. There were many pumpkins to look at. Some people have a lot of time on their hands is all I can say. They were really amazing to see. Of course we had to stop by and take a picture of our Alma Mater:
Friday afternoon we had a few friends over. I have been doing some Christmas shopping online and got a package earlier that day in a huge box. I let the kids play with the box. They took it up to Josh's room along with a bunch of markers. They made a space ship that everyone had fun playing in.
When they were done I made them bring every last marker back downstairs and put them away. I thought they were ok until I was in the shower Saturday morning and Aaron brought Sarah in the bathroom to show me. She had gotten a hold of an orange marker and colored all over her hands, pajamas and the carpet. Aaron was telling me that he had searched and searched for the offending marker, but couldn't find it anywhere. He then unzipped her pajamas to throw her in the shower and the marker fell out of her pajamas. I guess she was storing it inside her pajamas for later use. Also that morning all the boys had come down and gotten themselves breakfast. No one got any for Sarah so she took matters into her own hands. She went over to the pantry and pulled out the green decorative sugar sprinkles and ate that for breakfast--I hate to say they may be on the same nutritional scale as poptarts. Anyway, it seems she shared some with her brothers because we noticed later that Daniel had green sprinkles all over in his hair. NICE!
Saturday morning my ward had their Super Saturday Enrichment Activity. I love going to these!! This year Aaron was kind enough to stay home from the deer hunt to watch kids so I could go. I am so appreciative of that!! Here's some of the stuff I made (SPOILER ALERT--if you are a member of Aaron's family you may be seeing a form of these for Christmas presents this year :):Here's a meal calendar. I hope by having this around it will inspire me to plan and cook better meals for my family:It took me from 9am to 1:30pm to finish all of my projects and that was even with a few people helping me which was greatly appreciated!! When I finally got home I found that Aaron had been extremely busy while I was gone. Not only did he have four kids to watch (I took Noah with me), he picked up the house, vacuumed every room, made the bed, cleaned the bathrooms, swept and mopped and was in the middle of folding laundry and putting it away. I was so thankful!! What a wonderful husband!! I think we should start having Super Saturday every Saturday ;)!!
Today was our ward's primary program. Matthew, Daniel and Josh had speaking parts. Josh got to be a part of a small group of kids who also sang the song Jesus Once Was a Little Child. They all did so well. I was very proud of them for memorizing their parts. G&G T also came up to watch the program. It felt weird to only have two kids to watch with four extra hands instead of five kids to watch and just Aaron and me. However, Sarah and Noah gave us our Sacrament Meeting workout, though. The primary program had a few stick in your head tunes. Here's what Daniel has been singing ALL DAY:
He doesn't even know I recorded this--however, Josh figured it out and started hamming it up for the camera. Daniel even modified a few of of the lyrics. Instead of, "I belong to the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints" he sings it, "I belong at the church of Jesus Christ for Latter Day Saints.....I'll do what is right, I'll follow his sight". He's a funny kid!
In my never ending quest for finding inventive Daniel friendly foods that all of us would like, I came across this:

Smith's grocery store had a sale on their refrigerator crescent rolls. In looking at the ingredients on the package I was pleasantly surprised to find they contained no dairy, egg, or nuts in them even though the package states they are very buttery. A little disturbing to find they advertise them as very buttery with not a single dairy ingredient in them, but I can look over that since they are Daniel friendly. We had pigs in a blanket for dinner tonight and true to form, Daniel did not like them. I guess I will continue my quest for Daniel friendly food that he will actually like other than chicken nuggets, poptarts, and meat. If you have any suggestions send them my way please!!

2 comments:

KiLee said...

Your projects look great! I wish I were that crafty!

Jeff n Jill said...

So glad that I am part of Aaron's Family!!! :) - oh & not just for the supersaturday stuff, but that doesn't hurt!