"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Another Typical Sunday for Us Mancils

Today at church was pretty crazy!! It was utter chaos trying to get everyone dressed and ready for church. When we left the house it was an absolute disaster area and we were late again even though we have 11:00 church. When we got everyone to primary and nursery it was peaceful. Everyone had a good day and then we got into sacrament meeting. That's when the real fun started. As the meeting started Sarah found a little space just big enough for her between the bench and the wall. She was standing over in her little space for a while when she came out to join the rest of the family. That's when Daniel yelled, "SOMETHING SMELLS LIKE POO!!" As it was the beginning of the actual sacrament it was relatively quiet. There was no question what Sarah has doing over in her hidey hole. We sent her back to her hidey hole. By doing that we were hoping we wouldn't have to smell her until I was going to take her out when the sacrament was over. We waited for the bread to come. Wow, you would have thought I had never fed the kids before. When the tray of bread came around the kids all attacked it like a pack of rabid wolves. I was afraid of getting bitten when I tried to score me a piece of bread, but much to my relief I got a piece unscathed. When the bread part was over the deacons were lining up right next to our bench. That's when Sarah decided she wanted seconds on the bread. She came out of her hidey hole (insert stinky smelly waves wafting off her diaper) and was making her way over to where the deacons were lining up. Daniel saw what she was doing and grabbed on to her trying to hold her back. That's when she started screaming. I promptly grabbed her and took her out of the chapel along with a diaper and wipes. We went out to the single bathroom in the foyer to change her diaper, but when I tried the handle to the single stall bathroom it was locked. I went to sit down to wait my turn, but Sarah had other ideas. She was quite upset the door was locked and kept pulling on the bathroom door handle and knocking while screaming, "UNWOCK IT! UNWOCK IT!! (unlock it)". I tried to grab her to take her over and sit down, but she dropped to the floor in full tantrum mode. I finally wrestled her over the chair and we waited our turn for the bathroom. The person inside the bathroom must have heard her pleas and they came out shortly after. I took her in and changed her diaper. I came back out in the foyer and waited for the sacrament to get over so I could go back in the chapel. That's when I saw Aaron bring out everyone else. Things didn't go so well inside the chapel for Aaron while I was gone dealing with Sarah in the foyer. Aaron had to break up a huge shoving match between Daniel, who had the look of I am going to kill you in his eyes, and Matthew who just wanted to tease him. They were arguing over whose turn it was to read the scriptures. Nice--especially since it was DURING the sacrament. When the water came around Josh took a big gulp and let out one of the biggest burps known to man. Also Noah decided to make his presence known by babbling very loudly. Between all that and hearing Sarah screaming in the foyer, Aaron decided to cut our losses and we would take everyone home since things weren't going that well for our family today. As Aaron was herding everyone out he got to see that our family provided some comic relief for those people on the benches around us. I am glad our rambunctious family could provide the comedy side show for everyone during sacrament meeting!! It's a hard job, but someone has to do it, right?!

After recovering from church with some quiet time, Aaron made some chicken enchiladas for dinner. Noah got to try it out for the first time and he LOVED them! That is until he rubbed some of the chili sauce into his eyes--poor guy. You can see how far he spread it: What a mess! They sure tasted good, though. Why is it food always tastes better when someone else makes it?!

Whew, I am glad I have a full week to recover until we attempt another Sunday at church. Who said Sunday was a day of rest--not so much when you are outnumbered 5 to 2 with very noisy and highly energetic kids!!

No comments: