"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Monday, March 7, 2011

Noodles, Painting and Poopie

The other day for a quick dinner the kids said they wanted Cup of Noodles. Sarah decided that is what she wanted as well. She LOVED the noodles, but I am not sure I loved the huge mess she left afterward, though. We have been fixing up the house to sell. Last week I got out the paint to touch up all the dings around the inside of the house. Josh asked repeatedly if he could help me paint. I must admit I didn't let him help me. I was too nervous of the possible mess that could be made by a 7 year old and a dripping paint brush. I did feel a little guilty because when I told Josh that he couldn't help me paint he was not happy. However, Saturday Aaron decided to paint the fence. Josh saw what he was doing and begged to help him paint. Luckily it was outside and after Josh and Daniel got their grubby clothes on, they finally got their painting fix in. I got to breath a sigh of relief because the mess was all contained outside. Whew! As always church can be an interesting experience with kids! We showed up a few minutes late yesterday. The lesson was already underway in Relief Society when I made it in to class. No sooner had I sat down than the Primary brought Matthew to me. Matthew walked inside the Relief Society room in the middle of the lesson where he used his very loud voice to ask me where his scriptures were. I hurried him out of the room and told him I didn't know where the scriptures were and that he would have to go to primary without them. Thankfully, he didn't throw a tantrum and went back to class pretty quietly. I went back into the Relief Society lesson and sat down. Five minutes later the nursery brought Sarah to me. She had taken care of business in her diaper and definitely needed to be changed. Out of the Relief Society lesson I go AGAIN. I changed her diaper and took her back to nursery. By this time Relief Society was almost over, but I went in and sat back down. Things were pretty calm through Sunday School, thank goodness. Then we headed over to Sacrament Meeting. It was fast and testimony meeting and of course all my kids wanted to bear their testimonies. Matthew got up first and told everyone how he likes to help his Grandpa use the snow blower as well as how he knows the church is true...Daniel got up next and then Josh. They did great and no one suffered stage fright! Every week during Sacrament meeting Sarah likes to go into the aisle, hold on the arm rest of the bench and jump up and down. Provided that she doesn't wander off and as this keeps her busy and is not too distracting, I let her do it. However, she stopped jumping up and down and just sat down. Daniel went over and started playing peek-a-boo with her. When it started getting a little too loud I had to stop them. Sarah refused to come back inside the bench area when Daniel tried to pull her in. I grabbed her arm to drag her inside the bench. About this time there was a lull in the bearing of testimonies so the chapel was very quiet. That's when Sarah stands up and walks up to me and yells, "I POOPIE! I POOPIE! I POOPIE! I FARTED! I POOPIE!!" Sure enough she was. I didn't even need to smell her diaper to figure that one out--PEEE EWWWE!! Um, there was no question where she was headed to when Aaron took her out to change her. Too bad her speech is getting clear enough that everyone could understand what she was saying. I guess kids are here to keep you humble, right?!

Noah really likes his food. He gets pretty excited whenever you feed him by bouncing up and down. It makes feeding time last three times as long because it is really hard to hit a moving target with a spoon full of oatmeal!!

1 comment:

Jeff n Jill said...

Look at that 11 month old! So much hair! Glad he is liking his food. :)