"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Friday, March 11, 2011

Diaper Emergency

I want to feed my kids healthy food so as a Mom I am trying to find healthy things they will actually want to eat. Usually for breakfast they will have cereal. Well Josh has gone on a cereal boycott as of late. Unfortunately, Daniel, Matthew, and Sarah have followed suit. A little frustrating since I just stocked up on bags and bags of cereal...DOH!! To take the cereal's place for breakfast Josh and the gang have turned to toast. They LOVE it and have had it for breakfast every single day this week. My poor, cheap toaster couldn't keep up with all the use. Half the heating element went out so it was only toasting one side of the bread. The kids didn't care, they ate it anyway. Their philosophy is if you put enough butter on it you can eat anything. I finally went out and got a new toaster which made them eat even more bread when they discovered that bread with two toasted sides tastes better. The kids were going through more than half a loaf every morning. The boys were great and made sure Sarah had her fair share and then some of the toast. Unfortunately, in my passion for feeding my kids healthy food I bought the bread with the highest fiber content known to man. I have been paying for it all week long. Yesterday I would have to say was the worst. Sarah dirtied 6+ diapers. I was running low on diapers anyway and that made me run out even faster. I even got desperate enough to raid my diaper stash in the car and emptied the diaper bag of all the diapers for all her poopy diaper changes. When she stunk up another diaper I was officially out of diapers. I had to run to the store to get a case just to keep up with the increased diaper demand. When Aaron got home from work, and after he had changed a few dirty diapers himself, he searched out the high fiber bread and threw it in the trash even though it was almost a brand new loaf. He told me it just wasn't worth it and by then I whole heartily agreed. I am glad no one stopped in to see the house yesterday because I am afraid it smelled like dirty diaper all day long thanks to Sarah (Noah had his fair share yesterday, too). PEEEEE EWWWWW!! Thank goodness for showers and Febreze air freshener!! A few times Sarah did her own dipstick test of her diaper and her hands came up.....well, disgusting. After those times she got thrown in the shower. After all this the lesson I learned is I think I will sacrifice that high fiber healthy food for my sanity--at least until all the kids are all fully potty trained and I have a huge stockpile of toilet paper on hand!!

2 comments:

KiLee said...

Way to go on trying to be healthier! Totally awesome. Too bad it backfired! :)

Jeff n Jill said...

LOL!!!! I have experienced the high fiber food first hand at your house! Poor kids! Looks like they inherited Aaron's bowels! :)