"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Friday, August 13, 2010

Go Teenagers! Toilet Names and Keeping Busy

One thing I failed to mention about Sunday's blessing day happened at Jill's house. Jeff's family was around and Matthew did his best to get to know them. He loves to ask lots of questions and most of them are very repetitive. Jeff's family was very patient and answered all them willingly. Matthew's favorites are, "What's your first name, What's your last name, who's a better driver, Did a lady talk?" etc. Matthew asked Jeff's brother in law his last name. When he answered, "Briggs" Matthew didn't even stop to think before he said, "Oh, that's the same name as my Grandma's toilet." Which it so happens to be. Briggs is the name brand that is stamped on the back of the toilet. I don't know if he quite appreciated that. However, the rest of us sure did.

Monday night we noticed Daniel's ear started looking a little funny. It was swollen and bruised. We asked him what happened, but he didn't know. The picture doesn't even give his ear justice! It looked horrible!Jeff looked at it, it helps having a doctor close by to take a look--Thanks Jeff. Anyway he said it looked like it was infected, but to keep an eye on it. The next morning it was quite swollen and black and blue so Jeff said to bring him by his office and gave him an antibiotic shot in Daniel's hip--which Daniel did not appreciate. However, his ear is looking a lot better.
For fun we took the kids to a Texas Rangers baseball game. It was sooooo hot. Grandma M decided to stay home and watch Sydney. Matthew decided he didn't want to go and we figured it would be easier if Sarah stayed back as well so we left them back at Grandma's house too. When we got to the game it was soooo hot!! A side effect of Josh's medication is that he doesn't sweat so wherever we go we have to bring a bottle of water to pour on him to cool him off. Josh being the independent child he is decided to take matters into his own hands. He filled up his baseball cap to the brim with water and then tried to put it on his head to cool himself down. It didn't quite work out that way. He ended up sloshing water all over the people in front of us and behind us. They did not like that and the people sitting in front of us actually got up and left. Ooops. On the way over to the game this is what our car thermometer read: 104 degrees!! It was that hot plus humidity on top of it so when we got to the outside game we sweated gallons!! We were excited to see the Rangers playing the New York Yankees. To help keep things cool since it was sooo HOT we decided to pick up a snow cone and a bonus is that it was Daniel friendly so he could eat it as well. The only thing is the closest snow cone shack was half way around the stadium. Aaron got up and took Josh to get some. They walked all the way back and all the way up the stairs (we were in the cheep seats up in the nose bleed section). When they got to our row they were moving down the row Josh tripped and dropped the snow cone spilling it all over. So much for enjoying a nice delicious snow cone. When the game began the fans were cheering saying, "Go Texas Rangers!" I guess Daniel misunderstood them because he decided to start yelling, "Go Teenagers, Go Teenagers!!" over and over. Noah was pretty good at the game unless the crowd started cheering which scared him pretty bad. He was in the front pack, but we did try to set him upright in a seat. That lasted until the crowd started cheering and he started screaming so I had to pick him up and comfort him--poor kid! Here's Uncle Jeff, Grandpa, Josh and Daniel sitting at the game:Here's our view from our nose bleed seats:We could see the Dallas Cowboys football stadium from the Rangers stadium. Aaron was pretty excited so he took a picture.When we got home from the game Grandpa M gave Noah some loves. Here's some Grandpa and Grandson bonding time:
The kids have had a few sleepovers at G&G M's house while Aaron, Sarah, Noah and I stay at Jill's house. They have had a lot of fun over there and Aaron and I have loved sleeping in a little in the mornings!!
Yesterday morning Aaron, Noah and I went downtown to see The Bodies Exhibition. We missed it while it was in Salt Lake, but saw it was in Dallas while we were here so we decided to go. It was interesting to see how amazing the inner workings of our bodies are. Extra bonus is I got a discount since I am a healthcare worker. Wahoo for me!! Afterward we went out for lunch. It was a nice date even if Noah was the third wheel. He is my buddy since he has decided bottles are not for him anymore. At least he is a sweet baby so it almost makes it ok.
Everyone needed haircuts before we came to Texas, but I didn't want to shave everyone's heads for our family pictures so I made everyone wait until after pictures. Aaron decided after pictures he couldn't handle his long hair anymore. He insisted that I give him a haircut right then. I didn't want to so Aaron tried to take care of things by himself using Jill's clippers since I am too cheap to pay for a real haircut. It didn't go very well. He cut his hair as much as he could then he asked if I could trim up the edges for him. I tried to, but some of the guards were missing. I tried to trim it up without using the guards and it turned disastrous. He HAD to wear a hat until we could buy some clippers with all the guards to fix it. When we finally got some clippers, I ended up buzzing all the boy's hair, too. Now I just need to remember to sunscreen all their heads when we are outside now they don't have any hair to cover up their heads. Here's Josh and Daniel sporting their new dos:

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How fun! I'm glad you guys are having fun!