"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Bad News and Some New Allergies

Daniel had an appointment with the allergist today. It was time to do another skin prick test to see if he had possibly outgrown any allergies. Unfortunately, he hasn't outgrown any. He has added oranges and pistachios to his allergic list, though. He ate an orange a few weeks ago and then broke out in red blotches all over around his mouth. They weren't hives, but still I was a little concerned. Because of that episode they decided to check him for an allergy to oranges--which came back quite positive. I was pretty disappointed. We have been doing everything that we are supposed to, but things are not improving. It is quite frustrating to say the least. After the visit, I was having a small pity party for myself wondering why things just don't seem to come very easy for us. We have so many problems and issues with our family and it really isn't fair. However, I can't dwell on that thought for too long, though. I just need to be thankful for what I have not for what I don't have. I will try to be thankful when I am forgoing that nutty, caramel and chocolate covered Sundae because Daniel can't eat any of it. **Sigh** On the flip side I really do have many things to be thankful for so I will try to concentrate on the positives and not the negatives.

Here's Daniel's back before the skin prick test (he fell off the wooden chair in the doctor's office so that's what that red mark is at the top of his back): Here's 2 minutes into the test after they had scratched each allergen under his skin: Each dot represents an allergen. The dot at the top the only one without a hive by it was the control dot where they only scratch normal saline solution into his skin. The rest of them were quite reactive. I guess it was pretty uncomfortable after they scratched it under his skin because Daniel yelled, "I JUST CAN'T DEAL WITH THIS!!" while I was holding his hands trying to keep him from scratching his back. Poor kid!

Here's 7 minutes after the test. This is even after they had wiped off all the allergens and covered his back with a steroid cream.Also they did a lung function study on him to see how his asthma was doing. He didn't do very well since he is getting over a cold with a cough. We were hoping to get him off his daily asthma medication, but with his poor results he won't be able to be weaned off the medication. Too bad because it is a $40 copay a month that we have to pay just for that one medication alone. I guess I am supposed to be learning the virtue of patience throughout this experience. It's the only thing I can think of why getting over these food allergies is taking SO LONG!! We did get a refill for some new Epi-Pens and for his rescue inhaler, too. We are getting to know the people pretty well at our pharmacy, that's for sure!! Good thing they are quite friendly!

While we were in the office Noah decided to scream the majority of the time we were there. Sarah joined in for about half the time, too. By the time we got to leave (2 hours later) I was more than ready to leave!! However, they did bring in a bucket of stickers and a bucket of Dum Dum suckers and told the kids to help themselves. Sarah took that at face value and ate a ton of suckers. I lost count after sucker #15. She also spread the wealth and made sure everyone else was well stocked in suckers, too. She even tried shoving one she had previously licked into Noah's mouth. I guess she didn't like the flavor she picked out. Hmmmm, I wonder how all the kids keep getting sick--possibly by sharing everything possible?! Noah didn't care too much for the sucker, though. He just wanted to scream. I let Sarah eat all the suckers and pass them out because it got her to stop screaming and kept her busy. Two really nice things when you are enclosed in a small room for a long period of time with not much to do!! As for Noah he is usually so calm and quiet. I don't know what got into him today, but whatever it is let's hope he will get over it fast! I truly had my hands full today!! Glad our next visit won't be for another 6 months! It will give me time to recuperate after today's visit!

3 comments:

Todd and Amyjoy said...

Wow you have some challenges but what a good Mom you are! Your kids are blessed that is obvious! Hang in there!

Nurse Heidi said...

Oh man, that poor back just makes me itch all over!!!! Poor kid! Poor you :P. Allergies are a pain in the rear to deal with, especially on the scale that he reacts.

I've often pondered about how you left "real" nursing a while back, but for heaven's sake, you didn't leave it at all. Just think if you had all of these issues to deal with and didn't have the education you have? It'd be terrifying! I'd say you put in just as many nursing hours per week as I do!

Hang in there~

Stacey said...

Your poor Family and Poor Daniel. You are TRULY an AMAZING MOM Becca! Remember "God only gives you what you can handle" I know I know... Sometimes I think Ya right! But I know its true and one day you will be rewarded for it!