"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Birthday Celebration and Hospital Visit

This Friday Aaron had his annual neurology visit. It is mainly to refill his epilepsy medication prescription and to sign off on his driver's license to make sure he was safe to drive. Seeing as he hasn't had a seizure for about 13 years it really is no big deal. His doctor is down in American Fork. As it happens G&G T are also live conveniently close by so we made a weekend of it. We pulled the kids out of school 30 minutes early Friday afternoon and all of us headed down. Me and the kids waited in the car while Aaron had his appointment and then headed over to G&G T's house. We got the kids ready for bed so when G&G T got home from work Aaron and I could head out and actually go on a real date with no tag alongs. I made sure Noah nursed before I left so he could be happy while we were gone. No such luck. He cried for most of the time we were gone until he tired himself out and fell asleep. Poor guy and poor G&G T!! Anyway, Aaron and I went to the temple since we hadn't been there for (dare I say) about two years! Way too long. We missed the 5:30 pm endowment session so we decided to do sealings instead. It was quite pleasant. Afterward we headed out to dinner. We decided on Rodizio Grill. I got to choose since it was my upcoming birthday. It was quite delicious and we got to eat at a relaxing pace because we didn't have to keep 5 kids happy during dinner since it was just us two. We had a great time. All of us spent the night at my parent's house. The next morning G&G T made some Daniel friendly pancakes. True to form Daniel didn't like them--the little stinker! However, after breakfast Daniel got a hold of Sarah's sippy cup and drank it up. Unfortunately, it happened to be full of cow's milk. He quickly started sneezing and breaking out in hives all over his body. He then started wheezing. After a hefty dose of Benadryl and a inhaler I was watching him to see if more treatment was needed. He got worse and worse. I went and found the Epi-Pen because he was getting to the point he might need it. Finally the Benadryl kicked in and slowed everything down. He hasn't had that bad of a reaction in YEARS. It was scary for a bit. We have been giving him Benadryl around the clock yesterday and today just to make sure he would be ok. Even this morning he had faint traces of the hives all over his body still. He just likes to keep us on our toes, I guess. Here's a picture after we got home yesterday. The picture doesn't show all the angry looking pink hives all over his body, or the wheezy breathing, or the copious amounts of snot coming out of his nose, but you can see how itchy he is. He scratched and scratched all day. This morning along with the faint pink hive marks on his body he also has nice huge scratch marks from all his scratching yesterday. I am glad that things turned out as well as they did, though. No Epi-Pen or Emergency Room visit for him THANK GOODNESS!! Hopefully he learned his lesson and won't drink from Sarah's sippy cup again!!




When we got home Saturday I had a friend "date" for lunch. My friend took me out for lunch to celebrate my birthday. It was so nice to have a full 2 1/2 hours of adult female conversation with no kids to interrupt. Lunch was yummy, too!! When I got home Aaron told me he had to go out to run some "errands" (meaning getting a few birthday presents for me). Also it was another few hours without too much fighting between the kids which was pleasant, too.

Today we got to celebrate my birthday. The kids got a lot more excited than I did. At this age I don't want to remember birthdays because it means I am getting OLDER!! Anyway, we were getting ready for church when I got a call from my Mom telling me my Grandpa Gee (her Dad) had taken a turn for the worse in the hospital. He had had a hernia operation on Thursday and was doing ok. However, yesterday he ended up bursting a blood vessel in his esophagus and stopped breathing. They had to resuscitate him and they moved him over to ICU. Wow. I got this news right before church. We still went to church, but afterward my brother, sister and I were going to visit him. When we got home from church Aaron fixed a yummy dinner of hot dogs on the grill. One of my birthday presents was a dinner in which I wouldn't hear I don't like that from anyone. That's why we had hot dogs because everyone likes those and no one would complain. Nice present!! After dinner we had cake and ice cream. Aaron wanted to order me a birthday cake from the bakery, but since I had taken too long for my lunch date with my friend he ran out of time. Instead he just got to pick from what the bakery already had available. The closest thing was a Happy first birthday cake they ended up converting. They converted the #1 to a big messy heart.I was just happy he thought of getting me a birthday cake so I didn't care. I still tasted good!! After cake and ice cream i opened my presents. The first one was this:The second one was this:Now you may wonder why I would get princess panties and a potty seat for my birthday, but I would have to say it is one of the best presents ever. It means that Aaron is going to potty train Sarah for me. YAY!!! Happy birthday to me!!

Afterward my brother and sister came and picked me up and we headed down to Provo to visit my Grandpa Gee. He was doing fantastic considering everything he went through yesterday!! I just hope he continues to recover well. They have his bleeding almost under control and his pain is under control as well. Hopefully he can get back to his usual self soon. That's a lot his body has been through in the last few days to say the least. If you can send a few prayers his way please.

2 comments:

KiLee said...

I'm glad that you got to have a pretty good birthday. Sorry to hear about your grandpa - we'll for sure keep him in our prayers!!
May your birthday week be a great one!! I'm thinking that while Aaron is busy with potty training, you should come out & visit!!! :)

Jeff n Jill said...

Yay for the cake!!! I only get one because my Mom remembers that Jeff doesn't get me one and so she picks one up. Maybe one of these days I will get a cake from Jeff on my birthday...

Yay for Sarah!! and you! One in diapers will be wonderful. What to do with all that extra money? I know! Take a trip to Texas! :)

Love ya and we are glad you are part of the family! Prayers going out to your Grandpa Gee.