"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Single Parenthood

I got a taste of what being a single parent would be like this week--and I did not enjoy it. Aaron has put in a ton of overtime this week (30 + hours) because he has a huge deadline at work. So far he has gotten home in time to say goodnight to the boys and that's it. He has to put in an all dayer today, Saturday, as well and probably will need to stay late Monday. Me and the boys have done great so far until this morning. They realize with only one parent around they can get into anything when my attention is not on them. As evidenced by while I was pulling my hair back and putting on some makeup this morning the boys got the garden hose from outside with the sprinkler still attached and pulled it inside. They thought it was pretty funny. When I heard that devious laughter I knew something was amiss. It wasn't until I came downstairs and slid across my kitchen floor because it was covered in water that I figured out why I was hearing that devious laughter. All three were outside in their pajamas playing in the mud watching the water get everywhere in the house. I think I know why there are two parents to a family--because when one blows their stack the other is there to referee. Well unfortunately for the boys their Dad was not here so they spent the rest of the morning in seat away (time out) wearing their wet pjs. I am hoping for their sake they have learned their lesson or at least that I have learned mine--which is not to leave them unsupervised for any amount of time. I think it is going to be one VERY LONG summer with me not having my hair done or wearing makeup so beware!! I do still love my children, but like I said it will be a long summer. Oh adventures in parenthood...

No comments: