"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Sarah and the Shower and Daniel the Butcher Manicurist

Sarah LOVES the shower. Every time she hears to water turn on she stops what she is doing and comes running. This was her this morning as soon as I had turned on the water:


Don't try and give her a bath because she will scream and try to get out the whole time--even though while in the shower she will sit on the drain and plug it up to create a mini bath while the water is on she still refuses to take a bath. She is just happy and content in the shower even with all the water pouring down in her face as you can see in the picture.

Another one of her loves she has newly discovered is climbing. She tries to climb anything and everything. She has figured out how to get on top of the recliner and I saved her yesterday in the nick of time from going head first right over the top of it. She has also discovered Matthew's ladder to his bunk beds. This morning just after getting out of the shower I went to grab her a diaper and in the minute I was gone she headed straight for Matthew's ladder naked and everything and was couple rungs up before I got her down. I have a feeling she is one I will really have to keep my eye on.

While I was taking care of Sarah in the shower Daniel decided it was a great time to clip his own fingernails. I had no idea what he was doing until he came running into the bathroom screaming that is thumb was "bleed". I told him to get some toilet paper on it until I had time to take care of him. When I got a chance to see the damage I saw he had clipped a pretty big chunk of nail off his thumb and it really was bleeding.
Now he wearing his band aid as his badge of courage--good thing it isn't his thumb sucking thumb. Hopefully he won't try clipping his own nails again anytime soon. At least he is milking it for all he can telling me he can't possibly grab or pick anything up--basically telling me he is too wounded to help clean up. I just have to roll my eyes and try not to laugh. He is our dramatic child if you couldn't tell. We'll see about that cleaning up thing later on...

I would really love to see what goes through kids' minds. What really made Daniel think clipping his own fingernails would be a good idea or that climbing over the top of the recliner and landing on your head would end well? I guess they just like to keep things exciting.

3 comments:

KiLee said...

That is too funny! Ryker does the same thing - only he just comes when he sees the bathroom light on!
That was brave of Daniel to try and cut his own fingernails! He does about as good of a job as I do! I cut Kita a few months ago pretty bad and since then she's been super hesitant to let me do it!

Unknown said...

What does go through their minds?? It's so funny. Your kids are very cute!

Jeff n Jill said...

I love the hair! too cute to see her "run" into the shower! and OUCH! that picture of Daniel's thumb just makes my knees weak!